Sunday, October 18, 2009

Whew



I can't recall how many times I thought about the Ole Miss game from last season during yesterday's tilt vs. the Razorbacks. It was a lot though. I thought about that game every single time the Gators fumbled, were forced to settle for 3 and when Arkansas' Greg Childs crossed the goal line late in the fourth.

I actually thought about my game review. I thought about how I would describe this game as being exactly like the Ole Miss game, ending with a loss. However, the Gators' D got a stop when they needed to, Tim Tebow drove the ball down the field when he needed to and Caleb Sturgis nailed the game winning field goal when he was called upon.

You know what they like to say: "A win is a win is a win. Especially in the SEC." I tend to agree with that. I never underestimated the Arkansas team, despite my score prediction. I actually had Arkansas ranked in my top 25. I do think, however, that the Gators underestimated the Arkansas Razorbacks. Meyer said after the game that the team was extremely confident heading into Saturday. He made sure to comment that it was not overconfidence, but just plain old "swagger." I have to disagree with Urb. The Gators did not play with any fire during the entire first half and nearly woke up too late to pull out the victory.

All of the signs pointed to an Arkansas upset. The two starting DT's for Florida did not suit up. Brandon Spikes was injured on the first defensive drive of the game. Riley Cooper was battling a hip pointer for a little over a half. The Gators coughed up the ball every time they reached the red zone. Despite this, the Gators were still able to pull out the victory. We can all breathe a little easier this morning.

Time for some stats!

Passing

Tim Tebow 17-26 255 yards 1 td

Rushing

Tim Tebow 27 rushes 69 yards
Jeff Demps 9 rushes 54 yards 1 td
Emmanuel Moody 3 rushes 7 yards
Chris Rainey 6 rushes 6 yards


Receiving

Aaron Hernandez 7 recs 97 yards
Riley Cooper 6 recs 58 yards
Deonte Thompson 1 rec 77 yards 1 td

Tackles

Joe Haden 6
Jermaine Cunningham 6
Ahmad Black 6
Will Hill 6
Omar Hunter 6


Sacks

Jermaine Cunningham 2
Joe Haden 1
A.J. Jones 1

Field Goals

Caleb Sturgis 3/4 Long-51


Player of The Game

Caleb Sturgis - The Garbage Picking, Field Goal Kicking Florida Gator


Maybe I should make a weekly trip to Gainesville to kick a slumping player in the balls. After my trip last week to give Sturgis' nads a swift, Shawn Michaelsesque superkick, all he did was go out and kick the game winner straight through the uprights. That's not why I'm giving Caleb player of the game honors, though. His 51 yarder earlier in the game was a bit more impressive for me. I knew he had the leg for it, but he has never shown great accuracy. Until now. Also, the way he quited the entire Gators sideline after his game winning boot was phenomenal (you must use your Jim Rome voice to read that last sentence.) Congrats Sturgis, and ice those nuts!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree, that was too close for comfort! Good review. Let the Gator growl!

LeakBrewerGator said...

Thanks for the compliment. I hope we can get off our asses next week against Miss. St. We have traditionally struggled in the Magnolia State. If anything, this game will make us more focused this week.