Thursday, May 22, 2008

Airing it out: Top 25 QB's in all the land

Since I'm always right about everything, it should come as no shock at the end of the year when you look back at this list and realize every single QB is ranked correctly.Phil Steele wishes he had my keen college football intellect.

Since I love talking college football and you love reading it, I'm going to try and produce a top 25 for every position. Since this is very time consuming and I actually have a life, this will be very difficult to accomplish. Nevertheless, I will begin with the poster boys of any team, the quarterbacks.


1.Tim Tebow-The returning Heisman trophy winner will once again be the favorite to take home the hardware. While another 20/20 season is unlikely, he should once again produce monster numbers.

2.Chase Daniel- The Missouri QB should once again be in contention for the Heisman trophy this season. If Daniel plays to his potential, he is an absolute game-breaker.


3.Pat White- A lot of people are down on the West Virginia QB this year. I don't really see White having a drop-off this season. White, along with Noel Devine form one of the better rushing attacks in the country.

4.Sam Bradford- Bradford exploded onto the scene last season while leading the Sooners to yet another BCS bowl berth. If Bradford can produce the same type of numbers this year against defenses designed to stop him, he should be in Heisman discussions.

5.Graham Harrell-If Harrell were putting up his numbers anywhere else in the nation he would be a consensus number 1 QB. The fact that my 7th grade chemistry teacher can step in at Texas Tech and have a good season sort of diminishes Harrell's accomplishments.

6.Rudy Carpenter-Dennis Erickson has brought out the best of Carpenter at Arizona St. I look for Rudy to have an even better year than last season. Although that would be rather difficult against a much tougher schedule.

7.Matthew Stafford-Although I hate Matthew Stafford and the Georgia Bulldogs, I believe Stafford is a top ten talent QB. The Bulldogs should start the season at number one, and Stafford will have to play his best to ensure they remain there.

8.Juice Williams- The Illini are looking to capitalize on last season's Rose Bowl appearance. Juice Williams to Arrelious Benn is one of the most dangerous pass-catch combos in the country.

9.Kellen Lewis-I might be stretching just a bit by putting Lewis in the top ten, but I feel the Hoosiers are going to be much improved this season and that all starts with Lewis. Kellen Lewis has been the best QB at Indiana since the Antwan Randle El days.

10.Dan LeFevour- If not for Tim Tebow, Central Michigan's Dan LeFevour would be the top dual threat QB din the nation. The Chippewas don't get too much pub.However, with a superstar like LeFevour leading the way that can all change.

11.Colt McCoy- The Texas QB fell on somewhat hard times last season. I look for McCoy to turn things around and have a great season in Austin.

12.Nate Davis- Davis is easily the most underrated QB in the nation. Playing at Ball St. will do that to you. There are numerous opportunities to catch this kid in action as the Cardinals are featured on several ESPN telecasts.

13.Mark Sanchez-I'm still not completely sold on Sanchez at USC. It seems like with recent successes, just being a Trojan QB puts you in the conversation for top QB.

14.Cullen Harper-Harper had a breakout season last year for Clemson. I look for him to build on those successes and finally lead the Tigers to a BCS bowl berth.

15.Todd Boeckman-Boeckman really surprised me last season. I remember talking so much trash to my Ohio St. friends because I thought Boeckman was garbage. I'm not making that mistake this season.

16.Matt Grothe-I always tell my USF friends that Grothe is a poor man's Tebow. They often get upset and start bashing Tebow. What they don't realize is that's compliment. Not too many QB's are tough enough to play like Tebow, and Grothe is one of them.

17.Dustin Grutza- Cincinnati should have no drop-off at the QB position after the departure of Ben Mauck. Grutza played a terrific spring game for the Bearcats.

18.Jake Locker-Locker may be the biggest QB in college football. Ty Willingham ran too much of the offense through Locker last season, resulting in an injury. If the Huskies can find a decent ground game, I can see Locker being the breakout star of this Fall.

19.Max Hall-I'm always skeptical of anyone named Max, but this BYU QB has changed my tone. I really like the way Hall plays, and he should lead the Cougars to an undefeated season.

20.Todd Reesing-The diminutive Reesing and Kansas Jayhawks were the darlings of college football last season. With much of the offense back, I expect Reesing to put up similar numbers once again this season.

21.Curtis Painter- It seems like Painter has been at Purdue for 8 years now. It's always good to have that feeling about your quarterback. More than any other position, experience is a key in determining a great QB.

22.Zac Robinson- Robinson was the inadvertent cause of Mike Gundy's tirade last season. It's unfortunate that his great performance was overlooked because of his coach's speech. Robinson will need a stellar season if he wants to emerge from Sam Bradford's shadow in the state of Oklahoma.

23.Rusty Smith-Rusty doesn't get too much love while playing down at Florida Atlantic. Living in the state I have had the opportunity to see him play a few times and trust me, he is the real deal.

24.Chase Holbrook-Holbrook has thrived under Hal Mumme's tutelage at New Mexico State. His numbers did take a slight dip last season, but he should bounce back just nicely this fall.

25.Riley Skinner-Wake Forest's momentum does not appear to be slowing down any time soon. I expect another big season from the Demon Deacons this season. It all starts with the talented Skinner at QB.

1 comment:

-]~W:I:L:L~[- said...

Very good post, the only 2 things I wasn't thrilled about were Pat White being so high, all he does is throw screens. And Jake Locker was bottom 6 last year in Passer Rating, he threw a ton of picks. If he can learn to throw instead of being a bulldozer. [he ran more than 15 more times than he completed a pass] If he raises his completion % more than 10 pts [from 47], he might be another poor man's Tebow like Grothe. Very good job btw of putting Matheew Stafford down the list a bit, he only completed 57% of his passes. I think he might be movin' up the list this year. Once again, very nice post, and I just added my new blog entry. *Also did a CFB poll similar to yours*

-]~W:I:L:L~[-