Wednesday, May 28, 2008

SEC TV? There is a god!

The SEC Spring meetings are in full swing in Destin, FL. Several topics are being discussed including player eligibility, recruiting procedures and Bobby Petrino's overall lack of a soul. All of these topics bow before one very important item on the agenda: the possibility of an SEC television network.

It has been a recent trend of late for college conferences to start their own network. Currently both the Big Eleven and the Mountain West Conference have their own TV networks. The SEC is looking to blow those two inconsequential conferences out of the water by becoming the third conference to do so.

The contract between the SEC and Raycom Sports is up after this season, and recent talk about Raycom producing and showing games exclusively on an SEC network have started to heat up. (Possibly as soon as Fall, 2009). Of course the conference will continue it's national network partnership with ESPN and CBS, which means we'll have to stick with Brent Musberger for a while unfortunately.

I for one cannot wait for this to happen. I'm already on hold with my local cable provider to make sure I get first dibs on what ever package the channel will be offered on. I'm just a little worried that television sets across the country aren't going to be able to contain the awesomeness of all-SEC all the time. Maybe they should just get a Batman-Like signal projector and show games in the atmosphere.

OK, I went a little off the deep end there. My brain isn't functioning correctly with all this excitement. If my wife thinks she sees little of me on the weekends now, wait until this happens!

No comments: