Saturday, May 24, 2008

Christmas in May

I was out at the bookstore today with my wife when I ventured into the magazine aisle. When I saw one of the most beautiful sights one can imagine:




The first national college football preview of the year! I usually buy two or three of these a year. As you can see the one I purchased today was Lindy's. I usually also purchase Sporting news and Athlon's annuals as well. Last year, I picked up CBS Sportsline's first CFB preview effort and I was rather impressed.

I know what you're thinking, "How could someone with your CFB knowledge possibly cram any more info into your brain?" That's a good question. I mostly like to flip through the pages and laugh at how ass-backward their sorry predictions are.

Seriously though there is some good info in these publications. Ever since I was little there have been three non-holiday days that I have looked forward to, the first day of the college football season, national signing day, and the publication of the first college football preseason preview.

I'll try to review the publications as I pick them up so you know which ones to avoid and which ones to purchase.

Some interesting things I've noted in Lindy's annual:

They Don't provide a team capsule for Western Kentucky, even though the Hilltoppers are a 1A program.

There's a passing mention of a Texas Tech-Cincinnati title game. That would be very a very exciting match-up that absolutely no one would watch.

There's an article on how the 1983 championship game between Nebraska and Miami shifted the CFB world to the Southeast. True. Very True.

Jamar Hornsby is still listed on Florida's two-deep.

Their championship pick is Georgia and USC, along with everybody else making predictions.

Tim Tebow, Knowshon Moreno and Michael Crabtree are listed as the top QB, RB and WR, respectively.

The top 3 recruiting classes are Alabama, Notre Dame and Florida. Absolutely wrong.

I can't wait 'til the rest of the mags come out!

No comments: