Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Showing some love to the stadiums.

One thing that sets college football apart from it's pro counterparts is the atmosphere during a game. The band playing, the student sections standing and yelling and the Alumni cheering their Alma mater on all make college football special. The stadiums of college football are very diverse and contribute greatly to the atmosphere at these game. While there are little or no luxury boxes or state of the art sound systems, I'll take a college stadium over an NFL stadium any day of the week.



I want to provide a list of my personal 10 favorite stadiums. Of course there is biased involved as I have been to some of the stadiums, so I have better first-hand knowledge of them. If I leave your favorite stadium out, then you should probably pick a new team to root for.




1. Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, University of Florida.- Of course the Swamp would be my favorite stadium. This is a homer pick and I'm proud of it. The intensity during a Gators game is unmatched anywhere else in the nation. That's why Florida Field is consistently ranked as the toughest place to play in the nation. Also, if you sit high enough, you get an awesome view of the most beautiful campus in the history of the universe.







2. Michigan Stadium, University of Michigan.- I'm not a big fan of Wolverine football, but I love the Big House. Michigan Stadium is an awe-aspiring site. While I've never been there on game day, I can just imagine seeing all that maze and blue filling the stadium up. Of course knowing Michigan fans, I would probably get sick to my stomach and start dishing out groin kicks to everyone in sight.





3. Franklin Field, Penn University.- Franklin Field is home to the Quakers of Penn University. This is one of the most historic stadiums in all the nation. The stadium is also well known as the site of Bruce Willis' security detail in the ultimate blockbuster Unbreakable. The exterior of Franklin Field is what makes the stadium so grand. The brick-laden structure is a must on any Philly tour.


4.Williams Brice Stadium, University of South Carolina.- Williams Brice Stadium does not get the recognition that it deserves. This is probably caused by the lack of high performance from the football team. Despite the recent ineptness of the Gamecoks, their faithful still show up in droves and make Williams Brice a great place to watch a football game.



5. Beaver Stadium, Penn State University.- Happy Valley isn't such a happy place for visiting teams and their fans. The student section decked out in all white turns Beaver Stadium into an intimidating atmosphere even for the best players. The stadium design is also top-notch, considering the boring Nittany Lions uniforms.



6. Autzen Stadium, University of Oregon.- Autzen Stadium may be the best designed stadium in the nation. The fact that the football team disgraces such a beautiful stadium like this with those hideous uniforms is a travesty to mankind and should not be allowed.



7. Camp Randall Stadium, University of Wisconsin.- Wisconsin-Madison is known as a big-time party university. This partying atmosphere is carried well into Camp Randall for every home game. I've never been to a Wisconsin game personally, but just watching the game from home, I can get a sense of the exciting atmosphere. It's no wonder why it's so difficult to knock off the Badgers at home.





8. Neyland Stadium ,University of Tennessee.- I hate Tennessee. I hate the football team, I hate the state, I hate Rocky Top, I hate their stupid dog and I hate Phil Fulmer. One thing I don't hate about Tennessee is Neyland Stadium. This stadium is a monster, and some of the greatest games I've ever witnessed have taken place here.



9. Doak Campbell Stadium, Florida St. University.- Growing up with a strong hatred for everything FSU, I always pictured Doak Campbell Stadium as being the epicenter of a white trash trailer park with garbage piling up everywhere. I was surprised when I went to Doak in person by how nice the stadium actually is. A nice bronze statue welcomes visitors on all sides of the field. Except for the extremely gay Teamwork statue, they are all nicely done. By the way, I still think the campus is a big garbage hole.




10. Husky Stadium, University of Washington.- While the atmosphere in Seattle leaves something to be desired, the stadium itself is a thing of beauty. The scenery with the open-ended structure just might be the best in all of college football. It's no wonder the Huskies used to draw the top talent to the Great Northwest.









2 comments:

-]~W:I:L:L~[- said...

Maybe a bit too much love...I've personally been to BHG Stadium...great stadium, great atmosphere, but I'd put the Big House at #1. Great team or not, the tradition is amazing. 2 you left off the list: Death Valley [would of been in my top 3] and OSU [love 'em or hate 'em, *seriously* that places got some great tradition. Woulda been in top 5 also.

-]~W:I:L:L~[-

LeakBrewerGator said...

Yeah. My personal experience with the Swamp makes it #1 to me. Do you mean Clemson's Death Valley or LSU's. I like Clemson's better, theyr'e probably #11.